During the meeting of the Sustainability Board on 8 May 2019, CEEP members have adopted a statement “A Sustainable Climate Strategy for Europe: Acting Now! – Statement on Climate “For Sibiu and Beyond”“.
Our key messages are the following:
- Global warming is a major risk and climate policies must be developed as part of a sustainable approach.
- A prerequisite for success is the social acceptability of these policies, which requires greater equity and democracy, particularly at the local level.
- CEEP members manage essential infrastructure and provide SGIs that contribute to well-being and competitiveness; their proximity to economic actors makes them key players in climate policies.
- The EU Strategic Agenda 2019-2024 needs to recognise that role and put “enablers” of sustainable climate policies at its centre.
On 8 May, ahead of the Sibiu Summit, CEEP presented its contribution to the EU Strategic Agenda 2019-2024, to be adopted during the June Council meeting. Our input, prepared on the basis of the CEEP Key Priorities 2019-2024, relies on 4 pillars:
- A Europe of values and freedoms,
- A fair digital transformation,
- A sustainable and inclusive climate strategy,
- A Europe which leads by example.
You can find our contribution here.
Ahead of the European elections, CEEP puts forward its key messages and priorities. You can consult them here.